Thursday, August 03, 2006

Baking with Sorghum Beer

Why bake with Sorghum Beer? Simple,... it is the only thing the stuff tastes good enough for :)

In all honesty, I guess I am glad there is a Gluten-Free Beer on the market made from Sorghum, so that when I have a moment where I feel like having a beer, I can, without the worry of Celiac repercussions. But, I rarely get this desperate, as I find the taste quite sad and lacking flavor (oh, I so crave a good dark beer like a Guinness). I am not the only one that feels this way, as this link Lakefront Brewery's New Grist Sorghum Beer rating tells the whole story -- it rated only in the 9th (yes, NINTH) percentile overall.

Perhaps Lakefront will experiment with adding some flavor to another variation of Celiac Safe / Gluten-Free Beer in the future. I was thinking perhaps trying some Millet, Amaranth, or perhaps even Roasted Buckwheat in the mix. If only I had a way to try this out myself.

But, back to the point: baking with Gluten Free Sorghum Beer. It works QUITE nicely as a substitute in recipes that would otherwise call for beer. My wife came up with the most awesome gluten-free onion rings (beer battered) that you could imagine using this stuff and some GF flours. I could hardly believe it when I tried one -- they matched anything I have had at fairs, restaurants, and such in the past (yes, I am comparing to the "real" wheat-flour containing versions)! And, we tested them out on our neighbors who also agreed on the verdict. So good in fact are they that we put this recipe as a "bonus recipe" in our new cookbook we are publishing.

Bottom line: we found a great use for all that Sorghum Beer I had lying around for lack of desire to drink the stuff.

1 comments:

Mike Eberhart said...

Another GF beer rating I wanted to add. It fared not much better overall.